Thane joined the firm as a partner on November 1, 1990. He had previously practiced with an insurance defense firm and for six years as a Washington state lawyer in Vancouver. Thane also had represented client involved in the fishing industry and environmental matters such as clean water advocates. Thane continued his trial practice with the firm representing clients pursuing personal injury and death claims; individuals and organizations making environmental claims; plaintiffs and defendants in business and labor disputes; Native Americans in tribal recognition claims; and Native and non-Native clients on issues related to clean water and fishery issues. Much of the latter was done pro bono.
Thane received a B.A. from Santa Clara University in 1968, an M.P.A. from Golden State University in 1973 and a J.D. from Lewis and Clark Law School in 1977. He served in the U.S. Army and was deployed to Vietnam where he served with distinction and received two Purple Hearts for his injuries in battle.
Outside his law practice, Thane was a devoted and caring father to his two children. He had a lifelong love of politics and was a friend to many elected and non-elected local, state, and federal officials. In short, Thane was a political junkie, but one with great knowledge and insight. Thane was an inveterate runner. He traveled to many countries for fun and education and as an official fair-election observer. For all the years he was a partner in the firm, Thane lived in Northwest Portland, but he was raised in Astoria and he remained an Astoria boy. He planned to retire near the Pacific Ocean and his beloved Columbia River.
Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court, District of Oregon
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, District of Alaska
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Santa Clara University, B.A., 1968
- Golden Gate University, M.P.A., 1973
- Lewis and Clark Law School, J.D., 1977 (Member and Issue Editor, Environmental Law Review)
Memberships & Recognition
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association