I provide clients personal attention, strategic planning, execution of legal knowledge and litigation experience at the highest level.
Richard Yugler has extensive trial experience representing clients in complex business litigation, securities, stockholder disputes, real estate matters, as well as personal injury, insurance coverage, and professional malpractice cases.
Selected by peers as an Oregon Super Lawyers for business litigation, and having Martindale-Hubbell’s highest (AV) rating, Rick has been a leader in Oregon professional organizations, including service as President of the Oregon State Bar in 2008 and President of the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association in 2001 and 2002.
With professionalism, judgment and experience, Rick practices in the areas of complex business litigation, securities, stockholder disputes and real estate matters, as well as personal injury, insurance coverage, and professional malpractice. He provides intense personal attention, strategic planning, and execution of legal knowledge and experience at the highest professional level. He gets tremendous satisfaction from accomplishing difficult tasks for others. If Rick could live anywhere, he’d continue to live in Portland. When he’s not working, he loves to spend time with his family, enjoys golf, wine, travel and the performing and visual arts. If he wasn’t a lawyer, he would try being a philosopher.
Admitted to Practice
- Oregon Supreme Court (1980)
- United States District Court, Oregon (1981)
- United State Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (1982)
- United States Supreme Court (1983)
- United States of Appeals, Federal Circuit (1995)
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington (2001)
- Washington Supreme Court (2002)
- Syracuse University, B.A., 1977
- Northwestern School of Law – Lewis & Clark College, J.D., 1980
Memberships & Recognition
- President, Oregon State Bar (2008); Board of Governors (2005-08); prior activities include Professionalism Commission, Committees for Access to Justice, Public Affairs, Appointments, Procedure and Practice, Uniform Civil Jury Instruction, Local Professional Responsibility, Leadership College Advisory Board
- President, Oregon Trial Lawyers Association (2001-02); Board of Governors (1996-03); prior activities include Section Chair for Business Litigation, Amicus, Continuing Legal Education, Membership and Budget Committees and Oregon Jury Project; PAC Trustee
- Secretary, Multnomah County Bar Association (1990-91); Board of Directors (1990-92); Award of Merit (1986-1987); prior activities committee member for Circuit Court Liaison, CLE, Board Reorganization, Bicentennial of US Constitution
- Supreme Court Appointments: State Chair, Disciplinary Board (1999); Disciplinary Board member (1994-99); Chief Justice Civil Law Advisory Board (2000-03); Appellate Mediation Panel
- Master, Owen Panner Inn at Court; Member (1992-12)
- Member, American Association for Justice (formerly ATLA) (1985-present); former member President’s Council, State Leadership Summit
- Member, ABA. (1985-present), National Association of Bar Presidents
Notable Appellate Cases
Espinoza v. Evergreen Helicopters, 359 Or. 63 (2016) (forum non conveniens)
Computer Concepts v. Brandt, 310 Or. 706 (1990) (securities, RICO)
Strawn v. Farmers Insurance, 350 Or. 336 (2011) (class action, insurance claims practices, attorney fee awards)
Mountain High v. JL Ward, 228 Or. App. 424 (2009) (real estate servitudes, homeowners association standing)
Speaking and Writing Topics
Complex Litigation, Civil Racketeering, Federal Practice, Punitive Damages, Insurance Bad Faith, Securities Litigation, Class Action, Attorney Ethics, Corporate Responsibility, Cross Examination, Legal Malpractice, Attorney Fees, Damages, Mediation