I provide effective and timely solutions to clients’ specific legal needs, while understanding and supporting their broader mission, values, and long-term goals.
Originally from Utqiaġvik, Richard brings diverse experience to resolving his client’s legal issues, thoughtfully and effectively. Richard works with Alaska Native corporations, Tribes, municipalities, businesses, and non-profit organizations. His work includes advice and support in corporate affairs, internal governance, contracting, business transactions, real estate transactions, grant compliance, municipal law, and Alaska Native law and Arctic Policy issues.
Prior to returning to Alaska, Richard practiced as a litigator and supervising attorney at the trial and appellate levels for the New York City Administration for Children. In 2016, Richard worked in the Obama Administration’s White House Council for Environmental Quality for the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Oversight. Richard was selected as a Human Rights Campaign McCleary Law Fellow and handled municipal and corporate legal issues. On two occasions, Richard studied and worked in Italy, including interning with an Italian law firm in 2015.
Before becoming an attorney, Richard worked in local and state government. He has over eight years of experience in public administration and policy with the North Slope Borough, most recently as the Chief Advisor to the Borough Mayor. Richard enjoys spending time with family and friends, often cooking for them, and traveling whenever he can. Richard is also a member of Makalik whaling crew in Utqiaġvik.
Admitted to Practice
- District of Columbia Bar, December 2017
- New York Bar, October 2018
- Alaska Bar, February 2022
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2017, Dean’s List
- Syracuse University, B.A., 2005, Magna Cum Laude, General Honors
Memberships & Recognition
- Alaska Bar
- New York State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Temple Law & Public Policy Scholar
- Temple Law Rubin Public Interest Honor Society Fellow
- Justinian Society of Philadelphia Scholar
- Syracuse University Political Science Department Award of Excellence
- Makalik Whaling Crew Member, Utqiaġvik, Alaska
- NeighborWorks Alaska Board Member
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Alaska Volunteer Mentor
- Selective Service Local Board Member for Alaska
- White House Council on Environmental Quality Legal Intern for the Obama Administration, 2016
- Human Right’s Campaign McCleary Law Fellow, 2016