David Blount, chair of the firm’s environmental law department for over twenty years, is perennially considered by his peers as one of the top environmental lawyers in the Pacific Northwest. A former enforcement counsel with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, D.C., David has represented private and public clients in the environmental arena throughout the country focusing on the application of most major environmental laws.
For thirty years, David has passionately applied his knowledge of life sciences with his environmental legal training to craft federal waste policy and regulation, promote cost-effective compliance for the firm’s industrial clients, litigate when necessary for clients seeking recovery of their cleanup costs from responsible parties and insurers, and counseling clients on the strategy and resources required to acquire contaminated brownfields for their redevelopment needs.
His professional experience emphasizes working collaboratively especially with technical environmental experts, whether in house or at large, to resolve complex cutting-edge technical matters.
David has written and spoken extensively on environmental law throughout his career including authoring EPA’s first RCRA Permit Writers Guidance Document and the Oregon Environmental Law Desk Book Chapter on Private Party Cost Recovery.
Admitted to Practice
- Oregon State Bar (1980)
- Washington State Bar (2002)
- U.S. District Court of Oregon (1984)
- U.S. District Court of Washington (2017)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (1986)
- College of William and Mary, B.S., 1975
- Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D., 1980
- Member, Environmental Law Review
Memberships & Recognition
- Distinguished Environmental Law Graduate of Lewis & Clark Law School (2006)
- University of Portland Board of Regents Selection as Champion of the University (2009)
- Oregon Super Lawyers (2006-present)
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2006-2008)
- Best Lawyers in America (Environmental Law, 1989-present)
- OSB Section on Environmental and Natural Resources Law, 1986 – present (Chair 1988-1989)
- American Bar Association, Section on Environmental and Natural Resources
- American Association for Justice (1986-present)
- State of Oregon Environmental Cleanup Advisory Committee (Chair 1991)
- United States EPA Special Achievement Award (1981)
- Who’s Who in American Law